Whether basking on the beach or by the pool, sitting in the sun at a baseball game, or exercising outside, summer is the time to be out and about. Time outside means more exposure to the sun, heat, and outdoor pollutants, which can be bad news for your skin. Here are five answers to healthy, happy summer skin.
Sunburn happens to all of us
To treat: immediately get out of the sun and take a short, cool shower or bath. Don’t use soaps or body washes that contain fragrance because they dry and irritate skin. After the shower or tub, apply a light fragrance-free moisturiser that contains anti-inflammatory ingredients like mango, shea butter, cucumber and aloe. Avoid using body oils or heavy moisturisers because they trap the heat on the surface of the skin.
Your face feels oilier. Because you sweat more
Sweat causes your body to deposit more oil on the skin. Also, the sunscreen applied daily (we really mean every day!) holds in oil. To keep excess oil from leading to breakouts, exfoliate several times per week, the most effective home resurfacing treatments contain 10-15% AHA.
Air Conditioning isn’t always your friend
It’s extremely satisfying to cool off in an air-conditioned building after enduring the high temperatures and humidity outside. However, Air Con dries out your skin, so be sure to hydrate and exfoliate even more.
Superfoods for your face
This summer, we’re loving several superfoods including:
- Turmeric, an anti-inflammatory that will give you a bright glow
- Quinoa, which helps ward off the signs of ageing by boosting collagen production and sealing in moisture
- Probiotics, anti-inflammatory and help with breakouts, rosacea and eczema
Sport a safe tan
Even if you have been sitting in an office all summer, you can still sport a sun-kissed glow. Self-tanning products include lotions, creams, sprays and wipes and are simple to use. The tanning effect occurs within a few hours and colour fades in seven to ten days.
A few self-tanning tips:
- Your skin is more sensitive after using tanning products, so avoid immediate sun exposure
- It’s best to apply the products later in the day and sleep in them
- Before applying, prep by exfoliating with a scrub to release dead skin and open pathways for the product to work better
- After exfoliation, apply moisturiser to areas where sunless tanner might pool or collect – elbows, knuckles, knees – to ensure the tanner is absorbed evenly
At Spafinder we want to help you find the best spa breaks and spa days tailored to you, so you can live well all year round. To stay updated and get access to offers and giveaways, sign up to receive Spafinder newsletters.
To enjoy a massage, facial, mani-pedi or spa day, be sure to get a spa gift voucher.