Sleeping Beauty fell asleep for one hundred years and woke up looking as refreshed as ever. Now while we don’t have that kind of time, we do want to wake up as glowing as possible. And if we don’t get enough zzz’s, it’s going to show on our skin (they don’t call it “beauty sleep” for nothing!)
As you sleep, your skin renews itself and reverses the damage culminated throughout the waking hours. Collagen production accelerates, cell renewal occurs, and blood flow rises, which has led many to believe active ingredients are better absorbed into the skin during this time – therefore night-time is the best time to slow down the signs of ageing. Your skin needs a regime just as it does in daytime; below are our fave anti-ageing night-time tricks. So shut those eyes and have sweet dreams of how stunning your complexion will look in the a.m.
5 powerful anti-ageing ingredients for your skin you should start using today
- Retinol increases cell turnover
- Antioxidants help regenerate skin
- Hyaluronic acid spheres keep skin hydrated
- Gamma amino butyric acid (gaba) stops lines from forming
- Melatonin helps cells relax
The perfect night-time skin-care routine
- Cleanse the skin to remove dirt, makeup, oil and impurities. A ph-balanced facial cleanser with lactic acid will gently exfoliate the skin.
- Apply retinol to clean, dry skin.
- Apply a serum or gel based on your main skin concerns (i.e. anti-ageing, acne or redness).
- Moisturise with a hyaluronic acid-rich hydrator. (Those with dry skin may also need a rich, firming moisturiser.)
By Kate Phillips
At Spafinder we want to bring you the latest spa treatments and industry insights, so you can live well all year round. To stay updated and get access to offers and giveaways, sign up to receive Spafinder newsletters.
To enjoy a massage, facial, mani-pedi or spa day, be sure to get a spa voucher.