Lack of sleep can be one serious cause for stress. Sleep is so important to the healthy development of our emotional and physical wellbeing, and it is our body’s time to replenish itself, so we can awaken fresh, calm, and re-energised to start the day. If you’re in need of a good night’s rest, then head to the spa for some relaxation! Spas have woken up to the “sleep equals wellness” concept, and there are several treatments and programmes designed to help you catch your zzz’s (it beats counting sheep!).
Six of the best spa treatments to help you sleep tonight
- Massage: Massage relaxes tense muscles and calms the nervous system, thus your body’s rhythm slows, blood pressure lowers, your heart rate settles, and your breathing becomes deeper. All combine to stimulate completion relaxation, which can help you rest.
- Hydrotherapy: Studies hint that soaking in warm waters can leave you physically and mentally relaxed, smoothing the transition into a deep sleep. Offerings like hydromassage, immersion in thermal or mineral springs, or dips in pools with jet massagers, which can enhance joint mobility and relieve muscle tension, are a particular plus to those who can’t sleep because they suffer from pain- or sports-related injuries. When not at the spa, a bath with a few drops of calming essential oils (look for scents such as lavender, chamomile, vetiver, ylang ylang, and sweet marjoram) a couple of hours prior to bedtime is another option.
- Acupuncture: This ancient practice can improve sleep by restoring balance to the nervous system, reducing stress levels and hormones, and relaxing the senses.
- Meditation: A calming routine such as meditation can put you in a relaxed mindset before slumber. Find a comfortable sitting position, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing for a few minutes at a time.
- Yoga: A few basic, gentle yoga poses before bedtime can help calm mind and body, plus relieve stiff muscles developed during the day. (Remember that while regular exercise is a fabulous sleep aid, it’s suggested that an invigorating workout not take place a few hours before sleep.)
- Watsu: This type of healing massage is experienced in a warm pool; the rhythmic, stretching, and pressure-point techniques are designed to leave you in a seriously euphoric state.
Our pick of the best sleep-inducing spa specials for 2
Hand Picked Hotels, properties nationwide
A Great Night’s Sleep from £149 for 2
Hand Picked Hotels are celebrating ‘Sleeptember’ with an exlusive stay spa special at their stunning hotel locations. Enjoy a three course dinner the evening of your stay, before unwrapping a gift of sleep-inducing goodies, lavender pillow mist & relaxing bath salts. Wake up refreshed in the morning with a late check out time, ready for your luxury hotel breakfast. They have also teamed up with Hypnos to offer you the chance to win a Hypnos Lansdowne Cashmere bed when you book. So many nap-tastic treats! Find a Hand Picked Hotel near you
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, Midhurst, UK
Siesta Spa Day from £99 for 2
We all know a friend or loved one who could do with a good snooze. Why not take some time out for the two of you with this spa special at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Relax those tense muscles in the spa Jacuzzi before choosing from a Relaxing Siesta massage or Express Power facial each. You will both be feeling so relaxed, we bet a little nap in the relaxation room will be irresistible. See all special offers at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Spa at Ramside, Durham, UK
Stay Sunday Lazy Monday from £309 for 2
Do you ever get that Sunday night feeling and lay tossing and turning thinking about the week ahead? This spa special, at the Spa at Ramside, means the weekend does not have to stop on Sunday. Enjoy a two course dinner on Sunday night before slipping into your pyjamas, a 45min treatment of your choice after a swim or steam in the amazing spa facilities, a spa brunch on Monday morning before you head into you week energised and refreshed after a great night’s sleep. See all special offers at the Spa at Ramside
At Spafinder Wellness 365 we believe that wellness comes from within and without. That’s why we’ll always bring you the best content to inspire you on your way to a happier you! To stay updated and get access to offers and giveaways, sign up to receive Spafinder newsletters.
To enjoy a massage, facial, yoga class or spa day, be sure to get a spa voucher.