We all know how important sleep is to our health, and often our sanity, and should make sure that we are getting enough each night. This can be difficult when you have a hectic work and social life, but these surprising facts about sleep might just be the inspiration you need to catch up on those much needed forty winks. Here are 10 facts you should know about the importance of sleep and the effects on your body and life.
- Not getting enough sleep can increase your appetite as your levels of leptin, the hormone which regulates your appetite, fall.
- Regular exercise will improve your sleeping patterns and quality of sleep, making it easier to fall asleep and sleep through the night.
- Sleep loss has a direct affect on your body’s performance, as it impairs attention, alertness, concentration and reasoning.
- Lack of sleep can kill your sex drive thanks to the fact that it lowers your energy levels and increases tension and stress.
- Over time lack of sleep can lead to feelings of depression and anxiety, in fact insomnia has a very strong link with depression, and often the two come hand in hand.
- Not getting enough sleep can have negative effects on your skin, as well as dark bags under your eyes regular lack of sleep can lead to fine lines and dull skin.
- Sleep plays an important role in keeping your memory sharp and effective, when you sleep your brain has the chance to strengthen memories and ‘practise’ skills learnt whilst you were awake.
- The chances of suffering from heart disease, strokes, premature ageing and diabetes are reduced if you are getting enough sleep. This is due to the fact that sleep is an anti inflammatory when you are getting enough of it.
- Just a 20 minute nap increases cognitive functionality by 40% and by taking a 20 minute nap eight hours after you wake up will boost your stamina more than sleeping an extra 20 minutes in the morning.
- We are the only mammals who willingly delay sleeping when we are tired, so maybe it’s time we started giving sleep the attention that it deserves?
We hope this will encourage you to take more than just a power nap
At Spafinder Wellness 365 we believe that wellness comes from within and without. That’s why we’ll always bring you the best content to inspire you on your way to a happier you! To stay updated and get access to offers and giveaways, sign up to receive Spafinder newsletters.
To enjoy a massage, facial, yoga class or spa day, be sure to get a Spafinder Gift Voucher!